There are many ways to extend the capabilities of your IT staff. And there are many ways how to call it. For example, a contractor is what they call it in the United States. Subcontracting and offshoring are popular in Europe. Australia is using talent outsourcing.
Whatever you call it, when you have more IT development needs than your staff can handle, you need help. Increasingly, companies are turning to outside vendors both at home and abroad. Most importantly, you are concerned about improving the quality of your product. And here, the important question arises "which model to use?".
This article will quickly go through outsourcing, outstaffing, insourcing, etc. Still, more importantly, we will talk about why companies are trying to move away from these models and what is coming to replace them. What is most important is to understand what transparent remote staffing is.
Why Do Businesses Prefer Outsourcing, Outstaffing, and Insourcing?
Within the framework of this article, we consider the term "insourcing/ remote in-sourcing" as close in meaning to "outstaffing." Perhaps some of our readers have come across “remote in-sourcing.” Intetics introduced this concept, so we can only refer to them. However, the concepts of "remote in-sourcing" and "outstaffing" are very close in meaning, so we do not consider it relevant to consider this term within the framework of the article.
In the 1990s, outsourcing became an integral part of business economics after being recognized as a business strategy in 1989. Initially, the term was used to refer to external sources to develop the business, typically using their internal resources.
Today, outsourcing involves hiring an outside party to perform services or create goods traditionally performed in-house by the company's employees and staff. Usually, companies outsource as a cost-cutting measure.
There is an old question regarding software development: what is better—IT outsourcing or IT outstaffing, and what is the difference? Outsourcing vs. outstaffing is growing for various reasons, including the expense of hiring permanent IT staff and a shortage of qualified employees.
Hiring an external team overseas or ordering full-cycle software development from a service provider would be more efficient. Given that outsourcing and outstaffing to remote locations have only been around for 10-15 years.
More and more software companies are outsourcing their software development to more cheap and remote locations. It's worth telling you when outsourcing makes sense and outstaffing is better.
Why do companies look out for IT talent outside their own organization? The main reason is cost. When you combine outsourcing with offshoring to countries with low living costs, you can save on employee benefits and overhead costs.
Among the reasons companies outsource or outstaff their IT talent are:
- Fresh ideas. Companies have focused more on improving quality and efficiency in the past few years. Their goal is to find better and faster ways to do things.
- Deadlines. Businesses prefer outsourcing and outstaffing because they need someone who can meet deadlines and deliver on time. As a result, your company will not lose money due to missed deadlines.
- Expertise. Your company may lack specialized expertise, such as decentralized finance knowledge, which is becoming increasingly popular. Outsourcing those tasks allows you to focus on other aspects of your business while skilled professionals handle the work quickly and efficiently.
- Fast scaling. Every business wants to grow its market share, scale its operations, and increase its customer base. To accomplish this, they want to do it as quickly as possible without compromising quality.
Why Do Companies Refuse to Outsource and Outstaffing?
Although the advantages exist, there are many challenges associated with it too. Companies increasingly see the negative aspects of outsourcing and outstaffing, and they are trying to find an alternative.
- Limited control over how things are done. Outsourcing the development processes to another company means relinquishing control over them. The vendor can do things however they see fit, and often, they will not include the client in the decision-making process. You might not have any information on their methodologies and cannot make requests.
- Lack of agility and customization. The lack of loyalty and ownership can result in issues with outsourcing jobs—which is a common issue when working with outsourcing teams, and it is understood that someone working on a product they do not own will not feel any loyalty or pride towards it.
- Possibility of miscommunication. Be prepared to give up some benefits because the outsourcing company has a lot of clients, and they have to provide services to everyone, so working on the same project will customize and respond to changes not so quicker than an inner employee. They usually take a standardized approach to help them get the work done on time.
- Difficulties with flexibility and transparency. Every team needs flexibility. Working with an outsourcing/outstaffing team, you have to communicate to promote an equal partnership for both firms. If there is a new client for an outsourced company, they may ask to replace one of the team members or pick him up. Or if you decide to make some changes to the project, you will have to call their manager and get them to change the process and quote a new price for it.
- The burden of secondary costs. The secondary cost elements represent the flow of costs internally because these are created and used only in Cost accounting. Secondary costs are some of the most significant issues with outsourcing jobs, and you have to consider everything when deciding. There needs to be a short-term and long-term analysis of the project so you can avoid unforeseen costs.
- The ethical dilemma. Many companies are scared of outsourcing because of ethical issues. Especially if the outsourcing agency is Indian or Chinese, these countries have a lot of human capital, and their qualified resources are available at lower costs.
- The cultural dilemma. However, a language and cultural barrier may make it difficult for employees to understand each other. Do not forget that even new team members may work in different time zones.
Outsourcing is a great development model for companies that lack the technical expertise, skills, and resources to complete a project. It needs to be managed in a way that the situation stands to serve both parties. Recently, however, more and more questions have arisen about this system, and companies are looking for new ways.
What is Transparent Remote Staffing?
Transparency in the workplace is a lot like transparency outside of it. It is important for the well-being of all relationships, despite the one between employees and management. It allows managers the insight to ensure teams stay on track, the ability to communicate with them seamlessly, and the oversight to remain well-informed. The high level of transparency favorably impacts the level of trust and willingness to engage, which fosters greater collaboration in the long run.
But what is transparent remote staffing (TRS)? The term originally appeared in construction and later spread to other industries. Transparent remote staffing—is an outsourcing model that uses workers to fill any term job position within your company. The most important difference is the client fully sees all financial processes and salaries of employees, employees are de jure assigned to the customer, and de facto, the contractor can also interact with them.
Let's imagine that a company needs a team to develop a project. Сustomer orders it, but it is not responsible for the team, team members can be pulled out of the project at any time. It is as if the pilot of an aircraft did not have a standard mechanism for communicating with air traffic control.
Similarly, in a TRS relationship, each side will fulfill the requirements, depending on which side of the relationship they represent.
What's Future Mad Devs with Transparent Remote Staffing?
Previously Mad Devs as a vendor, adhered to the dedicated project-based team model. This model is optimal for the following:
- Businesses that need to raise funds quickly move to the next stage.
- Companies that plan to reorganize their internal IT departments to optimize costs and performance.
- Existing businesses need teams with specific expertise to develop new products.
- Companies that don’t have expertise in hiring and supervising big IT teams.
Hiring such a team, you will prepare with project stakeholders, our SWAT team will prepare a product requirements document (PRD). Additionally, we create a roadmap for the product and constantly adjust its vision and priorities. Moreover, development teams welcome customers to communicate directly with each team member to effectively align with business goals and get actively involved in the product.
Not long ago, Mad Devs expanded its services range and added a transparent remote staffing model. We want to see it as providing an efficient, transparent, fully remote, and enjoyable staffing experience to companies and tech partners.
When more than 5-7 people are on the team, located in different countries, in different time zones, and start their workdays at other times, it becomes difficult to maintain transparency in the work process.
So, we began using the Enji.ai bot in the company's work to simplify the validation of the clock to settle accounts for employees, prepare a consolidated margin report on employees, analyze what expenses were for an employee, and rationally conduct the budget, etc.
When a team knows that we use clockwork data to maintain a healthy work-life balance, they are more likely to perceive time accounting as adequate and correct.
Thanks to Enji.ai, our teams provide transparency and synchronization, and stakeholders have no questions about where the money was spent, as all processes are as transparent as possible. Detailed reports on hours worked maintain trust between the IT department and stakeholders.
A transparent remote staffing model is optimal for companies preferring a dedicated project-based team model but wants to know more. Therefore, by applying for this service, you get more benefits as:
- You will get a team that operates under your direction;
- Mad Devs take over logistics and operations, so you save time and reduce errors;
- The fear that the team may be transferred to another project disappears because the team de jure is yours.
- Adapt your team size to meet your business's needs. Mad Devs take over team management and dismisses employees at the customer's request.
- Open motivation system.
Thus, Mad Devs take on management challenges, finding new specialists and replacing specialists. The vendor and the customer become technical management partners with this cooperation model.
The customers are interested in a strong team that will close their needs with minimal complications, and we are interested in growth and long-term cooperation. As part of this model, we can provide both outsourcing and outsourcing services to the customer. We can say that transparent remote staffing is a hybrid model.
It's like selling a promise when you offer app development outsourcing services. Even if the IT outsourcing company promises the moon and stars, we cannot talk about trust until the actions match the words. Therefore, you need to look for a software company that follows transparent procedures when searching for a reliable tech partner. Then you can rest assured that your digital project is in good hands. Therefore, it is necessary to shift our focus from providing services to building partnerships with customers for the long term.
What are the benefits of outsourcing?
Among the numerous advantages of outsourcing are its cost-effectiveness, its ability to save time and space, and its ability to allow you to focus on your main business functions.
What are the pros of outstaffing?
The term outstaffing might be known to you, like the process of hiring a contractor. Among the advantages of outstaffing are optimization of the development cost, better control over team management, faster launching of the project, and A more thorough recruitment process.
What are the advantages of transparent remote staffing?
Тут нужно сказать, что процессы прозрачнее. Клиент видит все транзакции. Видит как работает команда. Не боится, что членов команды могут снять с проект не по собственному желанию.
How can Mad Devs help me?
When you hire a team from us, you get a team of highly effective employees. Organize their work processes so they do not burn out and bring maximum benefit to the business. In our company, we monitor the growth of specialists and create all the conditions for their development.